Cardiff and Vale University Health Board is developing a new community orchard adjacent to University Hospital Llandough, transforming the fields surrounding the hospital site.
The proposal is to enhance and develop a seven-acre field into an Outdoor Therapeutic Healthcare Facility, comprising predominantly landscape features and a vast orchard and woodland, as well as a small ‘Therapy Centre’ building. The therapeutic outdoor activity will include the development of the site landscaping and construction of the therapy facilities, as well as the enjoyment and maintenance of the site. The emphasis is on providing benefits to health, wellbeing and community engagement.
Ecological and wellbeing objectives driving the development of the site include:
- Facilitating the planting of commemorative trees
- Managing and enhance the existing landscape assets
- Diversifying and extend woodland, wetland and grassland habitats
- Prioritising pedestrian access, accessible pathways and places to rest and enjoy the landscape
- Providing an edible landscape and opportunities to grow food
Read more here.